To learn how to speak English fluently, there are several aspects, tips and tricks to consider to make the process go as smoothly as possible.
How to Speak English Fluently
1. Study the best materials possible. While practice may make perfect, this activity will not do any good unless the right materials are being practiced. Therefore, it is imperative to have the most correct information before you begin to practice speaking English. For example, practicing incorrect sentences will cause learning to say sentences the wrong way. This can be avoided by studying materials that are most commonly used by people.
Media like television is fine and well, however using a program like the news is too formal. Not only that, but it uses content they is far more political and therefore, not generally used in day to day life. While it may be possible to understand a news cast, this would be considered an advanced lesson for studies after learning basic fundamental of English.
2. Try submerging yourself into English. Remember that the ability to learn how to speak English fluently does not at all relate to intelligence. Most anyone can learn how to speak a language. This has been proven throughout the world. Every person knows at least one native language. This is because language is a form of communication that begins without studying, so much as actually responding and learning from others.
Learning how to speak English fluently is best achieved through being around the language all of the time. While in the country you live in, you will speak and hear the language continually. Many people who are excellent at speaking English went to school at English speaking schools. These students can speak English because they were exposed to an environment where they were near English speakers constantly, as opposed to the fact that they attended an English speaking school.
Surround yourself with English speakers. Make rules with friends to only speak English. Carry around devices that you can listen to English constantly on to hear English sentence structure. By submerging yourself in English, you will learn how to speak English fluently that much faster.
3. Study and learn English phraseology. Rather than attempt to learn vocabulary and put too many words together, create sentences. The number of words you know will not mean much if you cannot put them together in a proper flow. By studying phrases, you will be more able to make intelligible sentences that can be understood. Children learn languages by paying attention to words so as to put phrases together. This is best accomplished by studying and learning entire phrases.
One example of how this might work is that when you know 1000 words, you still might not be competent to make just one sentence correctly. However, knowing one phrase can allow you to make hundreds of sentences correctly. Knowing 100 phrases will allow you to form many more correct sentences. When you know merely 1000 phrases, you will be much closer toward your goal of how to speak English fluently.
4. Practice speaking the English you hear. While reading and listening are very important, it is the actual speaking that will get you on the fastest road to fluency. The ability to speak a language is the only real requirement to be considered fluent. For example, when it comes to children, they learn how to speak first to become fluent, and then begin reading, followed by writing. Therefore, the natural order for how to speak English fluently is first listening, then speaking, reading, and finally, writing.
Ironically, schools usually teach reading first, following by writing, and finally, listening. Although quite different, when learning a second language, the main reason it is done in that fashion is because first it is necessary to read the material in order to understand and learn it.
The reason that so many people read and then listen, is because that’s what is practiced. However, in order to learn English fluently, it is necessary to actually practice speaking. Speaking material out loud that is being listened to and then practicing what was heard is far more productive. Practice speaking until your brain and mouth can do it effortlessly.
5. Refrain from over-studying grammar. While this may sound strange to many ESL students, focusing on grammar too much will be distracting. Grammar is good for passing examinations. However, if you want to learn how to speak English fluently, then it is best to learn it without learning too much about the grammar. There is plenty of time to attend to that later.
Studying grammar will serve as a slow you down and produce confusion. Thinking about grammar rules while trying to create sentences is too much to focus on at one time. Learning to speak naturally as a native is far more beneficial. The fact is that merely a small number of English speaking people actually know over 20% of all grammar rules. As a result, many ESL students know far more about grammar than native speakers.
Even though the natural order to learn how to speak English fluently begins with listening, followed by speaking, then reading and writing, the order for ESL studies is actually first reading, then listening, followed by speaking, and finally writing.
6. Do not use translating techniques. When creating an English sentence, do not attempt to translate the words from your native tongue. Because the order of words is usually completely different, this will slow you down and cause incorrect words and phrases. Learn sentences and phrases that will not require you to think about words being said. This will make learning how to speak English fluently more automatic.
How to Speak English Fluently – The Conclusion
One of the most effective techniques for learning English is listening to the enunciation of native English speakers. Observe mouth movements and imitate the rhythm of the words. Watch English TV shows and movies to build vocabulary. The best way to learn how to speak English fluently is to practice each and every day, as much as you can.